You are an expert management consulting maven, which probably means you have been working for a traditional Big 5 firm or a boutique firm. Back then, there were no attractive alternatives to the usual Monday-Thursday travel schedule, leaving home and family at 5 am on Monday, and coming back Thursday at midnight. Happily for all of us, times are changing. There’s an growing prestige and attractiveness to global, online high-end consulting services. A welcome disruption has occurred to the traditional consulting model.
Many Fortune 500 companies and boutique firms are increasingly turning to high-quality online consultants. It’s not surprising that so may successful management consultants are flocking to the global online model. Many of the excellent self-starter characteristics required to be a successful consultant, are also required for a successful high-end freelance career.
If you are qualified as a management consultant, you have two alternatives to select in terms of career; working for a consultancy firm or working as a freelance management consultant. First option, of course, is the conventional way. And working as a freelancer, on the other hand, let’s you to work with more flexible schedule and freedom in mind due to obvious reasons. However, becoming a successful management consultant freelancer demands excellent self-starter characteristics.
Advantages of becoming a freelance management consultant
- Opportunity to work without a salary cap. Your earning potential is virtually unlimited when you work on your own.
- You will be able to engage in a variety of work as long as you are capable.
- You will be able to spend more time enjoying your ‘life’. You can involve in your hobbies and other entertaining activities.
- You will have the luxury of accepting the projects that are 100% compatible with your capacity. This allows you to work under zero stress levels and maintain a great balance between work and life.
- You will be able to experience a variety of cultures across the globe. This will maximize your exposure towards international clients.
- Since you are your own, you will be able to select the working place to match your personal interest. Moreover, the working hours too can be decided by you own depending on your convenience.
How much a freelance management consultant can earn?
We won’t build castles in the sky for you. We know you have what it takes as a successful self-starter. Realistically, this depends on the hours you choose to work and the hourly rate you wish to charge. Generally this hourly rate may vary from $50 to $500. The rate, of course, depends on the industry you serve and the location of the client. Before you reach higher hourly rates, you should focus on areas like branding yourself as a management consultant via efficient networking and various advertising services. Nevertheless, you need to be consistent, self-motivated and dedicated to the profession if you want to become a successful freelance management consultant.
How to start your career as a freelance management consultant?
There are a couple of ways to start management consultation on freelance basis. If you have enough contacts, networking abilities and already built a brand image, you can simply start your career as a freelancer. However, there are a significant number of professionally qualified consultants out there in the industry without adequate contacts and networking. For such professionals, there are these online freelancer platforms to make the maximum use.
To brand yourself as a management consultant within these platforms, you need to develop your social networking too. Maintain professional profiles in social media networks like Facebook and LinkedIn.
While establishing your career as a freelancer, it is important to save some money for future use like good health, disability cover and a life insurance. Maintain a savings account on regular basis and don’t forget a retirement plan too. Such approach might help preventing you and your family members from unpleasant surprises.
Connect with SkillQuo.com socially,